RentalCloud complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Principles set out below. When processing personal data we ensure that:
- it is processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner (‘lawfulness, fairness and transparency’);
- it is collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes; (‘purpose limitation’)
- it is all adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed; (‘data minimisation’)
- it is all accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date and that reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay (‘accuracy’)
- it is kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed; (‘storage limitation’)
- it is processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures (‘integrity and confidentiality’).
We will facilitate any request from a data subject who wishes to exercise their rights under data protection law as appropriate, always communicating in a concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible form and without undue delay.
We will also:
- ensure that the legal basis for processing personal data is identified in advance and that all processing complies with the law;
- not do anything with your data that you would not expect given the content of this policy;
ensure that appropriate information is provided advising how and why data is being processed, and in particular advising data subjects of their rights;
- only collect and process the personal data that is required for purposes we have identified in advance;
ensure that as far as possible the personal data we hold is accurate, or a system is in place for ensuring that it is kept up to date as far as possible;
- only hold onto your personal data for as long as it is needed after which time we will securely erase or delete the personal data;
- ensure that appropriate security measures are in place to ensure that personal data can only be accessed by those who need to access it and that it is held and transferred securely.
RentalCloud is committed to ensuring that data subjects can exercise their rights and we will consider and respond to any request from a data subject to exercise the following rights within one month of receipt in so far as possible:-
Subject access: the right to request information about how personal data is being processed including whether personal data is being processed and the right to be allowed access to that data and to be provided with a copy of that data along with the right to obtain the following information:
- the purpose of the processing;
- the categories of personal data;
- the recipients to whom data has been disclosed or which will be disclosed;
- the retention period;
- the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO;
- the source of the information if not collected direct from the subject; and
- the existence of any automated decision making.
Rectification: the right to rectify inaccurate personal data concerning you.
Erasure: the right to have data erased and to have confirmation of erasure, but only where:
- the data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was collected; or
- where consent is withdrawn; or
- where there is no legal basis for the processing; or
- there is a legal obligation to delete data.
Restriction of processing: the right to ask for certain processing to be restricted in the following circumstances:
- if the accuracy of the personal data is being contested; or
- if our processing is unlawful but you do not want it erased; or
- if the data is no longer needed for the purpose of the processing but it is required by you for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
- if you have objected to the processing, pending verification of that objection.
Data portability: the right to receive a copy of personal data which has been provided by you and which is processed by automated means in a format which will allow you to transfer the data to another data controller.
Object to processing: the right to object to the processing of personal data relying on the legitimate interests processing condition unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
What kind of personal information does RentalCloud use?
When you make an enquiry, we ask for your name, address, telephone number, email address, the names of guests travelling with you and any preferences for your stay. You also have the option to create a user account, which enables you to save your personal settings, review previous bookings and manage future ones.
When you visit our website, whether you make an enquiry or not, we may collect certain information, such as your IP address or browser, and information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages you have viewed. If you are using a mobile device, we may also collect any data that identifies your device, device-specific settings and characteristics, and latitude/longitude details. We may also receive information about when you use certain social media services.
We will collect this information from you in a variety of ways including directly from you, when you use our website or any of our online tools or functions, from and third party making a booking on your behalf and [insert any other methods of collection].
Why does RentalCloud collect, use and share your personal data?
- Bookings: First and foremost, we use your personal data to complete and administer your online bookings. We also forward your booking details to the service provider you have booked with.
- Customer service: We provide customer service 24/7. Sharing your details with our customer service team allows us to respond quickly when you need us, including helping you to find an appropriate service and answering any questions you might have.
- Guest reviews: We may use your contact information to invite you to write a guest review after your stay, which can help other travellers choose a place to stay that suits them best.
- Account administration: We offer a user account facility on our website. We use the information you give us to administer this, allowing you to manage your bookings, take advantage of special offers, make future bookings and manage your personal settings. Managing personal settings allows you to keep and share lists, share photos, see properties you have searched for previously, and other information you’ve provided about accommodations and destinations; you can also see your submitted reviews. You have the option to share certain information in your user account through a public profile that is associated with either your own first name or a screen name of your choice. The type of information you can share on this platform includes your photo, the names of places you’ve stayed, your lists, your plans for future trips, your reviews and other information about services and destinations.
- Marketing activities: We also use your information for marketing activities, as permitted by law. For example:
- When you make a booking with us or set up a user account, we may use your contact information to send you news about similar travel-related products and services. We also send our customers regular newsletters by email. You can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communication at any time. Where we wish to use your data for this purpose, we will ask for your consent, unless you have purchased a service from us.
- [Based on the information you give us, we may share individualised offers with you on the RentalCloud website, mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites.
- When we believe that an offer may be of interest to you, we may decide to contact you by phone.]
- Other communications: There may be other times when we get in touch by email, post, phone or text, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be many reasons for this:
- We may need to respond to and handle requests you have made.
- If you haven’t finalised a booking online, we may email you a reminder to continue with your booking. We believe that this additional service is useful to you because it allows you to carry on with a booking without having to search for the service items again or fill in all the details from scratch.
- When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review of your experience with us.
- We may also send you other material related to your booking, such as how to contact us if you need assistance while you are away.
- Market research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent.
- Fraud detection and prevention: We may use personal data for the detection and prevention of fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities.
- Improving our services: Finally, we use personal information for analytical purposes, to improve our services, enhance the user experience, and improve the functionality and quality of our online services.
Where you have entered into a contract with RentalCloud we will process your personal data in order to implement that contract and to carry out our contractual obligations and exercise our contractual rights.
In other cases, we have a legitimate interest in processing personal data which allows us to provide you with a better customer service and to send marketing emails and SMS messages to you where you have purchased services from us and where you have not opted out from receiving these messages.
There may be some occasions where we seek your consent to process personal data but, in this case, we will provide full details of what we are seeking consent for, so that you will be able to carefully consider whether to provide consent.
How does RentalCloud use social media?
We use social media to promote our partners’ properties and to promote, improve and facilitate our own website. For example, we have integrated social media plugins into our website. When you register with your social media account, information is shared with your social media provider, and possibly presented on your social media profile to be shared with others in your network.
In addition to implementing these buttons, RentalCloud uses social media by maintaining accounts on several social media sites and by offering social apps. These social media services may allow you to share information with RentalCloud. When you register with a social media app, you will be advised which information will be shared with RentalCloud. The information you choose to share with us may include basic information that’s already available on your social media profile, along with your email address, status updates and your friend list. This information is necessary to create a unique user experience either in the app itself or on our website. It facilitates the personalisation of our website to suit your needs, connects you with your friends on travel destinations and analyses and enhances our travel-related services.
We may also enable you to sign in to RentalCloud services using your social media accounts. Your social media provider will be able to tell you more about how they use and process your data in such cases.
How does RentalCloud share your data with third parties?
RentalCloud will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law and RentalCloud to protect and defend the rights or property of RentalCloud and its family of websites [insert specific details]; and, act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of RentalCloud, its websites or the public [what circumstances are envisaged?].
In certain circumstances, we may share your personal data with third parties.
- The accommodation you booked: To raise your booking enquiry, we need to transfer relevant booking details to the services (hotels/rentals/cars/cruises/tours/activities) you’ve booked. This may include information such as your name, contact and payment details, the names of guests travelling with you and any preferences you specified when making a booking.
- Your local RentalCloud office: To support you during the booking process, your details may be shared with subsidiaries of the RentalCloud corporate family. To find out more about the RentalCloud corporate family, visit About Us. Your information may also be shared with other members of the RentalCloud group for analysis, or to provide you with travel-related offers that may be of interest and to offer you a customised service, where you have purchased services from us and have not opted out of such communications or where you have provided consent.
- Third-party service providers: We may use third-party service providers to process your personal information on our behalf for the purposes specified above. For example, we may use service providers to send the booking information on our behalf to the service you booked, or we may instruct third parties to contact you. When a reservation requires it, we may also work with third-party payment service providers to facilitate payment or payment guarantees. We also work with third-party advertising networks to market our accommodation and services on other platforms, or involve third-party providers for analytical purposes. Third parties involved in any of these services will be bound by confidentiality agreements and prohibited from using your personal information for any purposes other than those specified above.
- Competent authorities: We work with partner websites around Europe to distribute the service items listed on our website and mobile apps (hotels/rentals/cars/cruises/tour/activities). When you make an enquiry on one of our business partners’ websites, certain personal information given to them, may be shared with us. Similarly, we may share information with our business partner, for example, as part of the administration of your account or to manage your enquiry. It enables them to address queries related to your booking and may be used for marketing purposes. In this context, your information is governed by the privacy policies of our business partners.
- Business partners: We work with business partners around Europe to distribute or advertise services and to help our business partners distribute and advertise their travel-related services. This may mean that their services are integrated into our website or they have been enabled to show a customized advertisement on our website – or we are advertising on theirs. When you make a enquiry on one of our business partners’ websites, certain personal data that you give them will be forwarded to us. Certain business partners may receive your personal data from us if requested by you. When you make an enquiry on a business partners’ website, please read the privacy policies on these business partners’ websites for more information.
You also have a significant role in protecting your information. No one can see or edit your personal information without knowing your user name and password, so do not share these with others.
We will share your data with third parties in the context of a sale of some or all of our business. In those circumstances, your data will be subject to confidentiality agreements.
We will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary for the purposes of the processing. Where you have a contract with us, we will hold your personal data for the duration of the contract and for a fixed period thereafter. The periods for which we held data are detailed in our data retention policy.
How does RentalCloud use mobile devices?
We have free apps for a variety of mobile devices and use versions of our regular website that have been optimised for mobile. These apps and mobile websites process your personal details in a similar way to our website while enabling you to use location services to find services nearby.
How does RentalCloud use guest reviews and other destination-related information you share with us?
After you use any service booked through us, you’ll be invited to submit a guest review, which may ask for information about the service item, the surrounding areas and the destination. If you don’t want your name to show with your review, you can use your screen name (which you can choose in your user account) or it can be displayed anonymously. If you complet guest review, it may be displayed (as further described in our Terms and Conditions) on, for example, the relevant service information page of our websites, on our mobile apps, social media accounts and social apps, on the website of the relevant property or on our business partner’s website, to inform other travellers about the quality of the service item you used.
If you indicate that a guest review was helpful – or not helpful – we will aggregate this with feedback from other customers to sort and prioritize guest reviews. We may use the information in your lists or in other destination-related information you share with us in an anonymous format to help other travellers find the right destination.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data placed in the browser of your computer or on your mobile device. This Privacy and Cookies Policy applies to cookies and similar technologies (hereafter together referred to as “cookies”).
Why are cookies used?
Web pages have no memory. If you are surfing from page to page within a website, you will not be recognised as the same user across pages. Cookies enable your browser to be recognised by the website, so are mainly used to remember your choices, such as language and currency preferences. They will also make sure you are recognised when you return to a website.
Do all cookies do the same thing?
No, there are different types of cookies and different ways of using them. Cookies can be categorised according to their function, their lifespan and according to who places them on a website.
How are cookies used?
Our website uses the following types of cookies:
- Technical cookies: We try to provide our visitors with an advanced user-friendly website that adapts automatically to their needs and wishes. To achieve this, we use technical cookies to show you our website, to make it function correctly, to create your user account, to sign you in and to manage your bookings. These technical cookies are necessary for our website to function properly.
- Functional cookies: We use functional cookies to remember your preferences and to help you use our website efficiently and effectively. For example, we remember your preferred currency and language, your searches and properties you viewed earlier. These functional cookies are not strictly necessary for the functioning of our website, but they add functionality for you and enhance your experience.
- Analytics cookies: We use these cookies to gain insight into how our visitors use the website, to find out what works and what doesn’t, to optimise and improve our website and to ensure we continue to be interesting and relevant. The data we gather includes which web pages you viewed, which referring/exit pages you entered and left from, which platform type you used, date and time stamp information and details such as the number of clicks you made on a given page, your mouse movements and scrolling activity, search words you used and text you typed while using our website. We also use analytics cookies as part of our online advertising campaigns to learn how users interact with our website after they’ve been shown an online advertisement, which may include advertisements on third-party websites. We will not know who you are; and we only obtain anonymous data.
- Commercial cookies: We use these to show you RentalCloud advertisements on other websites. This is called “retargeting”, and it aims to be based on your browsing activities on our website, such as the destinations you’ve been searching for, the properties you’ve viewed and the prices you’ve been shown.
How long do RentalCloud cookies stay active?
The cookies we use have varying lifespans. The maximum lifespan we set on some is five years from your last visit to our website. You can erase all cookies from your browser any time you want. To remove RentalCloud cookies from your browser, go to the following link (please note that when you click on this link, all RentalCloud cookies will be removed immediately): Purge Cookies.
How can you recognise RentalCloud cookies?
You can find our cookies in your browser settings.
Does RentalCloud use third-party marketing and analytics cookies?
Yes, RentalCloud uses the services of trusted and recognised online advertising and marketing companies. RentalCloud may also use third-party providers for analytical purposes. To enable their services these companies need to place cookies.
The providers we use are committed to building consumer awareness and establishing responsible business and data management practices and standards.
To control the collection of data for analytical purposes by Google Analytics, you may want to visit the following link: Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Who has access to RentalCloud cookie data?
Only RentalCloud has access to RentalCloud cookies. Cookies placed by third parties can be accessed by these third parties.
How can you manage your cookie preferences?
Using your browser settings in, for example, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome, you can set which cookies to accept and which to reject. Where you find these settings depends on which browser you use. Use the “Help” function in your browser to locate the settings you need.
If you choose not to accept certain cookies, you may not be able to use some functions on our website. Plus, opting out of an online advertising network doesn’t mean that you won’t receive or be subject to online advertising or marketing analysis. It means that the network you opted out of will no longer deliver adverts tailored to your web preferences and browsing patterns.
Does RentalCloud use web beacons?
In addition to using cookies, RentalCloud sometimes uses web beacons. A web beacon is a tiny graphic image of just one pixel that’s delivered to your computer either as part of a web page request or in an HTML email message. Whether directly or through service providers, we use these beacons as part of our online advertisements on both our website and on third-party websites to learn whether a user who is shown an online advertisement also makes a reservation; they also track conversion with partner websites and analyse user traffic patterns in order to optimise our travel-related services.
What security procedures does RentalCloud put in place to safeguard your personal data?
In accordance with European data protection laws, we observe reasonable procedures to prevent unauthorised access and the misuse of personal information. We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect and safeguard the personal information you give us. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the personal information on our servers. Only authorised personnel are permitted to access personal information in the course of their work.
Your credit card details – when they are needed as part of the subscription process – are stored for a maximum of 10 days. After that, your credit card data will be either permanently deleted from our systems or will remain hashed in our system for fraud detection purposes. This is unless you have chosen to store your credit card details in your personal account.
The services offered by RentalCloud are not directed at children under 18 years old. The use of any of our services is only allowed with the valid consent of a parent or a guardian. If we receive information from a child under 18 years old, we reserve the right to delete it.
How can you control the personal data you have given to RentalCloud?
You always have the right to review the personal information we keep about you. You can request an overview of your personal data by emailing us at [email protected] Please write “Request personal information” in the subject line of your email and include a copy of your identity card to help us prevent unauthorised individuals from accessing your personal data.
If the personal information we have for you is incorrect, we will update it at your request. You can also ask us to remove your personal data from our customer database by sending an email to [email protected] with “Request for removal of personal information” in the subject line. However, we may need to retain certain information, for example, for legal or administrative purposes, such as record keeping or to detect fraudulent activities.
Who is responsible for the processing of personal data on the RentalCloud website and apps?
RentalCloud controls the processing of personal data on its websites and mobile apps. RentalCloud, a private limited liability company, incorporated under the laws and has its online office in:
Rental Cloud Limited,
4-5 Mitchell Street,
Edinburgh, EH6 7BD
If you have any suggestions or comments about this privacy notice, please send an email to [email protected]
If you have any concerns or wish to exercise any of your rights under the GDPR then please contact :-
Rental Cloud Limited,
4-5 Mitchell Street,
Edinburgh, EH6 7BD
If you believe that we have not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Contact details are available at www.ico.org.uk.
Where you have entered into a contract with Rental RentalCloud for provision of services, failing to provide your personal data may mean that we are unable to properly implement the contract and that you are unable to exercise certain contractual rights.
This policy was last updated on 22 May 2018 and shall be reviewed and updated on a regular basis.